This page was exported from New Tecumseth Times
Export date: Tue Sep 17 20:40:49 2019 / +0000 GMT
By Wendy Gabrek
The Tottenham Legion, and its 235 current members, will celebrate the 75th Anniversary of RCL Branch 329 on Sunday, February 24th – (1944-2019) and are very proud to have received certificates of congratulations from The Queen, Governor General, Prime Minister, Premier and the Town of New Tecumseth.
The Legion serves both Veterans and the community, and has been a meeting place for local service clubs, sporting teams, not-for-profit organizations and family groups over the past seven and a half decades.
With over 270,000 national members, the Royal Canadian Legion is one of the largest organizations in Canada – and at the Branch level, members are working hard to break through the stigma that, “a Legion is just a place for old people.”
“When people think of the Legion they often think of our Poppy Fund, but we're so much more than that. We encourage people to book a party within our facility, become a member, or simply come by, meet with friends. We want everyone in our town to know they are welcome here anytime, the kids included. It's a warm and comfortable environment, and our doors are open to all,” said Tottenham Legion Public Relations & Entertainment Chair and 75th Anniversary Committee member, Gord Robertson.
We're all very excited about this special anniversary and look forward to receive new guests and have the opportunity to extend our thanks to our generous sponsors, members, volunteers and friends for many great years of support,” said Robertson
The 14-person Anniversary Committee, have planned for nearly four months to create fun, exciting and interesting ways to celebrate this milestone. We hope you will come by, join us and participate. Our events include-
• Sunday, Feb. 17, 1–6 p.m. – Fun “n” Games Tournament (pool, darts, shuffleboard and more), $10/player, choose your event, sign up at the bar
• Monday, Feb. 18, 1 p.m. – Family Day Obstacle Course sponsored by local Army Cadet Corps 329 CFHSTC RCACC, join the Cadets for hot dogs and hot chocolate and learn what the Cadets are all about
• Tuesday, Feb. 19, 7–9 p.m. – Invitation only Appreciation Night for individuals and local organizations that have supported the Branch over the years
• Wednesday, Feb. 20, 7–9 p.m. – Murder Mystery Night ‘A Murder at the Bourbon Club', Legion auditorium $10/person, sponsored by Darci Lovegrove Century 21 Heritage Group. Hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages included. Reservations required call 905 936-4061
• Thursday, Feb. 21, 8 p.m. start – Pub Night. Music by “705”, Sean Bourke, and AJ the DJ
• Friday, Feb. 22, 7:30 p.m. start, registration at 7 p.m. – Tottenham Legion Trivia Night. $10/player, maximum 6 players per team. Free munchies. “We encourage team names and costumes”. Bonus Legion questions
• Saturday, Feb. 23, 6 p.m. – Tottenham Legion Gala Event. $45/person. Cocktails at 6 p.m., dinner 7 p.m., choice of entrée, entertainment by Daze Gone By. Dance the night away. Reserve early, limited seating
• Sunday, Feb. 24, 12 noon – Time Capsule and Plaque Ceremony. Watch the Tottenham Cadets Drill Team. Members only luncheon to follow. Sponsored by the Ladies Auxiliary. (Capsule includes contributions from local schools, and a flash drive of Legion history)
In honour of the occasion, t-shirts featuring a custom-designed logo are on sale in four sizes for $15, and commemorative, limited edition 75thAnniversary pins are available as well.
“All of these events are designed to show how the Legion can be utilized, and how important having a community Legion is,” Robertson told The Times. “It's about what we've done for the town, and what the town has done for us. It's really all about the future”
Post date: 2019-02-07 12:46:42
Post date GMT: 2019-02-07 17:46:42
Post modified date: 2019-02-21 19:32:35
Post modified date GMT: 2019-02-22 00:32:35
Powered by [ Universal Post Manager ] plugin. MS Word saving format developed by gVectors Team www.gVectors.com