General News » Headline News » News

Province announces plans to expand services at SMH

March 24, 2022   ·   0 Comments

The Ontario Government has announced plans to expand services that will be offered at Stevenson Memorial Hospital as part of the Hospital’s redevelopment plan.

In 2019, the Province provided the Hospital with $1 million for Phase 1 of the Hospital’s redevelopment. Since then, the Hospital has worked closely with the province to finalize expanded services that will better meet the needs of patients and families.

“After decades of underinvestment from previous governments, we are delivering on our promise to bring communities all across Ontario the quality health care they deserve,” said Premier Doug Ford. “With this redevelopment, Stevenson Memorial will be able to provide the people and families of Simcoe County the critical services they need closer to where they live.”

Once Phase 1 of the project is completed, the redeveloped hospital will include a new emergency department that is triple the current size, expanded diagnostic and surgical services, a brand-new birthing suite, and a space to accommodate nine new inpatient beds increasing the total from 38 to 47.

“Investing in Stevenson Memorial Hospital is a key part of our government’s plan to build a stronger, more resilient health care system and end hallway health care for all Ontarians,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “Patients and families in Simcoe County can look forward to a new and expanded services that will benefit them for generations to come.”

As part of the government’s more-than-$1.2 billion investment to help hospitals recover from financial pressures created and worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, Stevenson Memorial Hospital received over $770,000 for 2020 – 21 in order to provide financial stability and support continued high-quality patient care.

“This is an exciting day for Stevenson Memorial Hospital and the community,” said Jody Levac, President and CEO of Stevenson. “This approval represents one of the most significant milestones in our redevelopment journey. I thank Premier Ford and Minister Elliott, as well as the Ministry of Health, for approving our Stage Two functional program submission and giving us permission to proceed to Stage Three design. This approval helps us move closer to the construction phase. New Tecumseth and the South Simcoe region continue to be some of the fastest growing regions in the province and we need our hospital to grow to meet the health care demands of our community.”

By Brian Lockhart
Local Journalism Initiative Reporter


Readers Comments (0)


You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support