General News » Headline News » News

GoFundMe page started for Alliston fire victims

December 4, 2020   ·   0 Comments

An Alliston couple whose home was destroyed by fire on November 22, will be receiving some help from a GoFundMe effort that was created by a friend.

Scott and Jamie Freewin were at home on Sunday evening around 5:00 p.m. and were unaware that the roof of their King Street home was on fire.

They were alerted by a neighbor who saw the flames and ran over to tell them there was a fire and they needed to get out of the house.

The fire was apparently electrical in nature and started in the attic.

The couple escaped with only the clothes on their back and could only watch helplessly as flames engulfed the structure.

Their dog also made it out in time.

The contents of the home were all destroyed or damaged by fire, smoke, and water, and the house will have to be demolished.

The couple had tenants’ insurance as they were renting the house, and that should cover some loss of contents; however they are still without many items they need, as well as a new place to live.

They were able to get a room at the Red Pine Inn in Alliston at a discounted rate.

Long-time friend Catherine Murray decided to start a GoFundMe campaign to help her friends get back on their feet.

“I wasn’t sure how it all worked,” Catherine said. “I’ve never done this before. The house is a mess – it was flooded and there’s a foot of water in the basement. When it happened, I went on Facebook to try to find things to donate. They got out of the house with only the clothes on their back. Someone suggested I try a GoFundMe page because they wanted to donate money. I wasn’t sure how much would be the right goal so I just decided on $5,000.”

That goal was reached in only a couple of days and by Thursday was closer to $6,000.

While money can’t replace what the couple lost in the fire, it will help them get the things they need and go towards finding them a new place to live.

You can donate by going to www.gofundme.com and search for Scott & Jamie – Alliston House Fire.

By Brian Lockhart
Local Journalism Initiative Reporter



         


Readers Comments (0)


You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support