General News

When do you require an NVCA building permit?

January 4, 2024   ·   0 Comments

By Brian Lockhart

If you plan on building, adding an addition, doing work on a shoreline, or just installing an in-ground pool, you may be under the jurisdiction of the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority (NVCA). If this is the case, you may need a permit from the NVCA before you start your project.

The role of NVCA in the development planning process is to protect lives and properties from flooding and erosion in areas around watercourses, wetlands, and shorelines.

NVCA also aims to protect the natural benefits offered by these natural areas.

NVCA staff provides timely environmental planning expertise to guide municipal land-use planning decisions.

Projects that require an NVCA permit include:

  • Construction of a dwelling or addition
  • Reconstruction of a dwelling
  • Construction of any other structure such as shorewall, in-ground pool, or driveway
  • Placing or constructing a detached accessory structure such as a barn, shed or pool house
  • Changes to a building or structure that alters its use or increases its size and occupancy, such as enclosing a carport to create a garage or an ‘in-law’ suite
  • Site grading
  • Temporary or permanent removal or importation of material such as fill, gravel, and soils, even if the material originated on the site

The NVCA encourages permit applicants to consult with planning and permit staff before applying to ensure their permit application process is smooth, efficient, and on the right track.

Staff are currently developing an e-permitting platform that allows applicants to track the status of permits online.

There will also be database improvements and website updates to improve customer service.

Not all projects require a permit.

Projects that do not require a permit include:

  • If your proposed work is not in an NVCA-regulated area
  • If NVCA staff have reviewed the regulations associated with the property and determined a permit is not required. E-mail clearance can be given at that time
  • Fences and ground-level decks outside natural hazards
  • Above-ground swimming pools, temporary pools and hot tubs
  • Landscaping activities such as planting trees or garden beds
  • Minor limbing of tees, cutting scrub or damaged vegetation outside of wetlands
  • Agricultural practices such as cropping and tilling of existing agricultural lands

Readers Comments (0)

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support